- saturated fat
- Nutrition.a type of single-bond animal or vegetable fat, as that found in butter, meat, egg yolks, and coconut or palm oil, that in humans tends to increase cholesterol levels in the blood. Cf. saturated (def. 3).[1970-75]
* * *saturated fat nounAn animal fat (usu solid, eg lard, butter) containing a high proportion of saturated fatty acids• • •Main Entry: ↑saturate
* * *saturated fat UK US noun [countable/uncountable] [singular saturated fat plural saturated fats] chemistryfat from animal food such as meat or milk. Eating too much saturated fat can lead to high levels of cholesterol in the blood.See also: polyunsaturated
* * *saturated fat,solid or semisolid animal fat, such as butter and lard, that contains mainly saturated fatty acids. A diet high in such fat is believed to raise the cholesterol level in the blood, and is associated with certain heart diseases. »
The degree of saturation depends on the number of hydrogen atoms on the fat molecule. Saturated fats can accommodate no more hydrogens (Time).
* * *a type of fat found, for example, in butter, fried food and many types of meat, which encourages the harmful development of ↑cholesterol
I was advised to lower my saturated fat intake.
Useful english dictionary. 2012.
Look at other dictionaries:
Saturated fat — is fat that consists of triglycerides containing only saturated fatty acids. Explanation Fat that occurs naturally in living matter contains varying proportions of saturated and unsaturated fat. Foods that contain a high proportion of saturated… … Wikipedia
saturated fat — n [U and C] a type of fat from meat and milk products that is thought to be less healthy than other kinds of fat from vegetables or fish … Dictionary of contemporary English
saturated fat — noun count or uncount fat from food such as meat or milk products that is difficult for the body to process and is therefore considered to be bad for your health … Usage of the words and phrases in modern English
saturated fat — UK / US noun [countable/uncountable] Word forms saturated fat : singular saturated fat plural saturated fats chemistry fat from animal food such as meat or milk. Eating too much saturated fat can lead to high levels of cholesterol in the blood.… … English dictionary
saturated fat — A type of fat with certain chemical properties that is usually solid at room temperature. Most saturated fats come from animal food products, but some plant oils, such as palm and coconut oil, also contain high levels. Eating saturated fat… … English dictionary of cancer terms
saturated fat — noun A fat or oil, from either animal or vegetable sources, containing a high proportion of saturated fatty acids; will typically be solid at room temperature; a diet high … Wiktionary
saturated fat — Nutrition. a type of single bond animal or vegetable fat, as that found in butter, meat, egg yolks, and coconut or palm oil, that in humans tends to increase cholesterol levels in the blood. Cf. saturated (def. 3). [1970 75] * * * … Universalium
saturated fat — a fat containing saturated fatty acids … Medical dictionary
saturated fat — noun (C, U) a kind of fat from meat and milk products that is thought to be less healthy than other kinds of fat from vegetables or fish … Longman dictionary of contemporary English
saturated fat — sat′urated fat′ n. nut any animal or vegetable fat, abundant in fatty meats, dairy products, coconut oil, and palm oil, tending to raise cholesterol levels in the blood • Etymology: 1970–75 … From formal English to slang